(434) 326 - 4111 stop 10#
One of the few surviving outbuildings within the Academical Village, the Crackerbox is a two-story cottage named for its small size and rectangular shape. Built between 1825 and 1826 the structure stands today in the rear yard of Hotel F. Like the Mews, the Cracker Box was originally constructed as a detached kitchen with residential space in its upper story. Hotelkeeper John N. Rose brought his household, including thirteen enslaved people and three free black women, to Hotel F in 1829. The Board of Visitors approved the construction of a one-room addition to the north end of the Crackerbox, perhaps to accommodate his large enslaved labor force. Others living within Rose's household were Edmund, an enslaved man owned by Rose's son William, and James Munroe who belonged to Rose's wife, Mary. Edmund and James Munroe and the other people owned by Rose likely served one of two capacities: as hotel servants preparing, serving, and cleaning up student meals; or as dormitory servants providing services to students and cleaning their rooms. On occasion, Rose leased his slaves for short periods of time. Edmund was hired to Professor George Blaettermann in 1832 for a period of two months. Rose and his family left the University In 1834 and opened a boarding house for students on Main Street. It is likely that the people they owned continued to serve the Roses at their boarding house establishment.
Exterior viewing only, building not open to the public