(434) 326 - 4111 stop 12#
McGuffey Cottage is all that remains of a row of outbuildings located to the west and rear of Pavilion IX. These were built as work and residential spaces including one built as early as 1831 for the "accommodation of domestics." George Tucker, a professor of moral philosophy, was the first resident of Pavilion IX, occupying it between 1825 and 1845. Census records document that he owned two men and two women in 1840. In addition to supporting his own family, Tucker also rented out his slaves to the University as needed. In 1828, Anthony was rented out by Tucker for five months, performing labor for the University. In 1840, Tucker's slave Isaac was rented for a month and assisted a stonemason while building walls surrounding the Academical Village.
Exterior viewing only, building not open to the public