(434) 326 - 4111 stop 16#
Skipwith Hall is named for Peyton Skipwith, an enslaved master mason who quarried stone for use in construction at the University of Virginia. Mr. Skipwith was owned by John Hartwell Cocke, a member of the board of visitors. Mr. Cocke taught Mr. Skipwith arithmetic, to read and write, and also taught him about the Christian faith. Mr. Skipwith was emancipated in 1833 along with his wife and six children. Mr. Cocke provided the Skipwith family transit to Liberia, an American colony set up for the repatriation of slaves and free blacks. The site of this building is believed to be the location of the University quarry where Mr. Skipwith was a laborer.
Exterior viewing only, building not open to the public