(434) 326 - 4111 stop 7#
The building now known as the Mews was built around 1830. It is one of the few surviving original outbuildings. Built as a detached kitchen, it also provided accommodations for some of the professors' enslaved laborers. These kitchen quarters were modeled after plantation kitchens, which were usually detached and situated near the main house. These buildings and the enslaved cooks and domestics were integral to the formal functions of the University's community, providing meals and domestic service to the professors and their families. The building has since been enlarged and was renamed The Mews when Professor Pratt moved here in 1923.
Exterior viewing only, building not open to the public